Can I block or allow session recordings based on geography?
Yes. We allow filtering of sessions by geographic region.
To take advantage of this feature, navigate to Settings > Recording and scroll down to Record by geography.
You can create either a safe list or a block list. Your options are:
- Record from Everywhere: This is the default setting. All sessions will be recorded, unless they are blocked for another reason (i.e. IP blocking, Domain blocking, or User Agent blocking)
- Only Record from these Regions: (Safe List) Sessions from regions NOT represented on this list will NOT be recorded. You must add all of the regions you wish to record to the list.
- Never Record from these Regions: (Block List) Sessions from regions NOT represented on this list WILL be recorded. Only add regions that you DON'T want to record.
Once a region has been added to the safe or block list, you can click on it to see a list of all countries included in that region. Hover over a region to get the option to remove it from your list.
Notes on how geographic recording works
We know where a session has been recorded because Google provides us with the country code for most requests. There are a few exceptions to how accurate your block or safe list will be:
- Google may not be precise in the location they provide.
- Users may use a VPN or tunnel to access the internet, in which case their IP can report a different location (e.g. their corporate HQ) and we will record that reported location.
- We do not always receive a country code. In these cases, the recording will be from "Unknown" location.
- When using the "Only record" (Safe List) method, FullStory will NOT record unknown clients
- When using the "Never record" (Block List) method, FullStory WILL record unknown clients
Given these caveats, we can't recommend using this feature to guarantee compliance with legal or security requirements.