Can I pass additional data points into FullStory?
Yes! And it's pretty easy to do. Adding custom data to recordings opens up entirely new ways to search and analyze recorded sessions. Imagine being able to answer – in seconds – questions like How many of our freemium users asked for technical support? You can do that easily with custom variables using our API.
Identifying Users & Custom Data
With the JS API, you can do cool things like...
- Identify users by an id that is meaningful to your application database.
- Give users nice display names like Daniel Falko rather than boring ones like User 41325.
- Connect an email address to each user for easy search and a convenient "Email this user" link in FullStory's user view.
- Search on customer attributes. Suppose your app offers three pricing tiers: Freemium, Basic and Pro. You could record each user's plan in a custom field and then use pricing plans as a search criterion to answer segment-oriented questions such as, What percentage of our freemium users asked for technical support?
You can record any piece of custom data you wish that helps you filter and organize your users. The optional code snippet is found by clicking on Settings > General.
- FS.Identify – supports the passing of a unique identifier like application ID (optional), email address and an optional “friendly” display name.
- FS.setUserVars – supports the passing of any field value pairs into the system, making that data available for indexing and search.
Get the full details on identifying users with FS.identify and recording data with FS.setUserVars in our Developer section.