Looking to understand whether your conversion rates are better on desktop or mobile? FullStory can help.
► See how to compare funnels (1:57)
Because FullStory captures everything, you don't need to do any manual instrumentation or preliminary event tracking setup in order to understand how your conversion funnels compare across different devices.
Here's what you'll use to get started:
All of these features come "out-of-the-box" with all FullStory plans including Free, Business, and Enterprise. Nice!
Here's how to work through this use case:
- First, on your own website, identify the steps in your own conversion flow. Look for the key calls to action, buttons, or page paths that customers interact with as they move through your key funnel.
On an eCommerce shop, the flow might look like "Add to cart" > "Checkout" > "Purchase."
On a SaaS marketing website the flow might look something like "Sign Up" > "Submit."
Take a moment to review your key conversion flow and remember the text in the links, buttons, or page paths that make up your critical conversion flow.
Ask yourself: do you care about whether users take those steps in a specific order within the same session? Or, are you interested in seeing who has ever completed those steps in any order or over any number of sessions?
You'll use this information to build your Event Funnel in FullStory.
- Next, open FullStory Omnisearch and just start typing the text of your first call-to-action to filter sessions for users who have completed the first step of your conversion funnel.
You can search for the text of a button to build a conversion funnel based on "Click events" or you can search for the beginning of the page path to build a funnel based on "Page Visits."
- Once you have a filtered set of user sessions for people who completed the first step, go back up to Omnisearch and start typing again to layer on the next step of your conversion flow.
Repeat this process until you've built a search that contains all of the criteria for your funnel.
- Scroll down and look for the Event Funnel Searchie. This report shows you the conversion rates at each step of your conversion flow.
- Save your search as a segment so you can revisit the Event Funnel later.
- Next, you'll want to create a copy of your conversion flow segment with the Event Funnel that includes conditions for the Device type you're interested to compare.
Scroll down and find the Device Breakdown Searchie. Hover over the type of Device type you're interested to compare and click "→ Add to search" to add the conditions for that Device type to your existing search.
For example, if I want to compare how my funnel performs on Mobile compared to performance on all device types, then I would click "Add to search" next to the numbers for "Mobile" in the Device Breakdown.
- Save this new search as a segment that you can compare to the new Event Funnel for this segment to your previous Event Funnel.
Mission accomplished! With two new saved segments, you can quickly reference the Event Funnel reports for each segment to compare conversion rates across different device types.
Understand differences between conversion rates
Now that you can easily compare your conversion funnel on mobile vs. desktop, use your new segments and session replay to learn more about why the rates are different and get ideas for how to optimize for conversions.
Flip any criteria in your event funnel to "Has not" to generate a list of sessions where customers dropped out of the funnel or didn't complete specific steps.
- Watch sessions within each segment - where do drop-offs seem to occur?
- Look for signals of frustration - is there anything about the design of the site that seems confusing or frustrating to users?
- Check the page load times - are pages loading very slow?
Make note of areas to improve and share your findings with other people in your organization who have a stake in optimizing your conversion rates.
Take it a step further
You can apply this same workflow to build custom conversion funnels based on a number of other conditions such as browser type, UTM campaign, referrer URLs, or any other aspect of your customer experience that's captured by FullStory.
Not sure where to start? From any Event Filter, click the [...] ellipsis to expand the list of conditions options and discover what's possible.
Omnisearch makes it possible to answer so many questions without doing the legwork first, and that's the magic of funnels in FullStory.
Give it a try! And, if you get stuck or have questions, be sure to reach out to us at: email@example.com