Absolutely! Any user with Admin permissions will be able to restrict data capture based on geographic region by navigating to the Settings > Data Capture and Privacy > Data Capture page and scrolling down to Capture data by location section.
We give you a few different options when it comes to capturing sessions by location, including:
- Capture data from Everywhere: This is the default setting in which FullStory would capture all sessions with the exception of any user sessions that might be blocked for a different reason.
- Only capture data from these regions: This setting allows you to specify the exact geographical regions that you'd like to capture. Any users that accessed your website outside of the regions listed in your allowlist will not be captured by FullStory.
- Never capture data from these regions: This setting allows you to specify the exact geographical regions that you'd like to exclude from data capture. Any users that accessed your website from the regions listed on your blocklist will not be captured by FullStory.
Once a region has been added to either your allowlist or blocklist, you can click on that region to confirm the full list of countries that would be captured.
If you need to remove a region from your location data capture rules, simply hover over that region and select 'Remove.'
A few notes on how location-based data capture works
While we know where a session has been captured because Google provides us with the country code for most requests, there are a few things to keep in mind when building out your location-based data capture rules:
- Google may not be precise in the location they provide.
- For users that are accessing your website using a VPN, their IP can report a different location (e.g. their corporate HQ) and, as a result, FullStory will capture sessions from that reported location.
- We do not always receive a country code. In these cases, the session will be from "Unknown" location.
- When using the "Only capture data" allowlist method, FullStory will not capture unknown location sessions.
- When using the "Never capture data" blocklist method, FullStory will capture unknown location sessions.
Given these caveats, we cannot recommend using this feature to guarantee compliance with legal or security requirements.