Absolutely! Any user with Admin permissions will be able to restrict recording based on geographic region by navigating to the Settings > Recording page and scrolling down to Record by Location section.
We give you a few different options when it comes to recording sessions by location, including:
- Record from Everywhere: This is the default setting in which FullStory would record all sessions with the exception of any user sessions that might be blocked for a different reason.
- Only Record from these Regions: This setting allows you to specify the exact geographical regions that you'd like to record. Any users that accessed your website outside of the regions listed in your allowlist will not be recorded by FullStory.
- Never Record from these Regions: This setting allows you to specify the exact geographical regions that you'd like to exclude from recording. Any users that accessed your website from the regions listed on your blocklist will not be recorded by FullStory.
Once a region has been added to either your allowlist or blocklist, you can click on that region to confirm the full list of countries that would be recorded.
If you need to remove a region from your location recording rules, simply hover over that region and select 'Remove.'
A few notes on how location-based recording works
While we know where a session has been recorded because Google provides us with the country code for most requests, there are a few things to keep in mind when building out your location-based recording rules:
- Google may not be precise in the location they provide.
- For users that are accessing your website using a VPN, their IP can report a different location (e.g. their corporate HQ) and, as a result, FullStory will record that reported location.
- We do not always receive a country code. In these cases, the recording will be from "Unknown" location.
- When using the "Only record" allowlist method, FullStory will not record unknown location sessions.
- When using the "Never record" blocklist method, FullStory will record unknown location sessions.
Given these caveats, we cannot recommend using this feature to guarantee compliance with legal or security requirements.