Available for the following Plan types:
FullStory for Mobile Apps
Available to the following User roles:
The FullStory integration with Segment allows you to install and enable FullStory on your website or app. With the click of a button, you’ll be able to capture sessions and send custom events and user traits from Segment to FullStory. This means no custom coding is necessary to get up and running, saving you time and development resources.
There are two primary ways of setting up this integration which we will discuss below.
Setting Up the Integration (Recommended)
Segment's Destination Actions allows more functionality and improves upon the existing process by enabling you to see and control how event data is captured and sent to action-based destinations. The actions available in Segment that can be mapped to FullStory's API are Identify User, Track Event, Viewed Page.
You have two options to choose from when setting up these actions: Quick Setup & Customized Setup.
Identify User action will send the
Track event action will automatically send the
event name and
properties for any tracked event.
If you do, however, wish to customize your actions a bit further, Segment now offers a robust set of options to view your data in a more granular way.
Some of these additional resources include the ability to add conditions, triggers, event variables and functions to your actions.
To learn more, check out Segment's documentation on this.
Follow the recommended steps below to integrate with Segment via Destination Actions.
- Log in to Segment, click Catalog, then click Destinations.
- Find and Select the Destinations Actions item.
- Select FullStory, then click Configure FullStory.
- Select an existing Source to connect to FullStory.
- Click Customized Setup to start from a blank mapping.
You'll also need to toggle on the Analytics 2.0 option in the Settings > Analytics.js section of Segment.
Setting Up the Integration (Legacy)
After you set up your Segment account, set up the FullStory integration using the steps below. Segment’s documentation may also be useful as you’re getting started.
- Log in to Segment and click Catalog.
- Search for FullStory, select it, and confirm your sources.
- Add your FullStory Org ID to the connection settings. You can find this in FullStory by navigating to Settings > FullStory Setup. Copy the value found on this line:
window[‘_fs_org’] = ‘YourFullStoryOrgID’
- Activate the connection using the blue toggle.
Sending Custom Events Through Segment
If you use Segment to instrument custom events on your website (like “Add to Cart,” “Purchase,” “Sign-Up” or any other events that are important to your business), you can send those directly to FullStory without any extra effort or coding. This helps you easily search through your sessions to find the events that matter most.
To send custom events from Segment to FullStory:
- Set up the FullStory and Segment integration as described above.
Instrument Spec:track events in Segment
After those setup tasks are complete, the integration will automatically send client-side events to FullStory and make them available for search. If you’re having trouble receiving custom events, check your Segment allowlist settings.
- Learn more about how certain events like "Order Completed" are handled in FullStory
- Review the Testing instructions to see how to look for events inside FullStory
- Check the Troubleshooting Instructions if you see any errors with your events.
Note: This integration supports client-side events only. Server-side events will not be sent to FullStory.
Sending User Traits Through Segment
If you use Segment for user identification (like assigning a user ID, email address, or custom user traits like “plan,” “number of logins,” or other properties that are important to your business), you can send those directly to FullStory as well. This helps you easily search through your data using custom user properties and create targeted user segments.
To send custom user traits to FullStory:
- Set up the FullStory and Segment integration as described above
- Instrument Spec:Identify events in Segment
After those setup tasks are complete, the integration will automatically send user traits like
displayname, and other custom properties to FullStory and make them available for search.
Segment Data Sources and FullStory
Segment provides ways to track customer data from multiple sources. Please note that only data that is tracked with Analytics.js directly on the website will be available in FullStory. FullStory isn't able to ingest customer data from Segment if the data comes from a source other than Analytics.js (e.g. FullStory can't track Segment data from Segment's Mobile, Server, Cloud App, or their generic HTTP sources).